Monday, August 29, 2011

17th Century Wool Cassock

So since the hubby is a rapier fighter and needs something other than a cloak which doesn't allow for arms to be used. I don't like the cloaks that have the arm holes because then your arms get cold and it's hard to pull them in and out from underneath the cloak.

I purchased the wool from Joann's while my store was closing so got an amazing deal. I think I paid $12/yard for 100% wool that is a gorgeous teal color. I found some linen from my favorite online linen place for $6.50/yard that is very close in color ( http://fabric-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=577) It's close enough that it will do for a lining.

This weekend i finally got back into my sewing room to work on projects. My goal is to finish all the wool stuff BEFORE it's needed in January. We are in South-Eastern Texas so the weather around here is iffy when it comes to cold. We may need the wool stuff in November so that is my current goal for one of the wool pieces to be completely finished. I had cut out the pattern several months ago so all I had to do was start assembling the pieces. I have the main body of the wool and the linen sewn together, they just need to be put together so that the lining isn't loose. I didn't like the way the pattern said to put the lining with each individual piece so I'm winging that portion of the instructions. I have the sleeves sewn with their lining, same with the collar and shoulder pieces. I am at the point that they need to be turned right side out and ironed flat then sewn onto the main body. I plan on sewing the lining of the main body together before I attach the sleeves so we'll see how that goes.

Once I get the sleeves, collar, and shoulder pieces sewn on that covers the bulk of the sewing and it will have to go hang in the closet until I can find a TON of buttons that I like and are of a good quality to go on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment