Monday, October 10, 2011

Men's Shirt

So last Tuesday I had time to work a little bit more on the shirt for the man.  The pattern is easy, just requires a lot of pieces for the  cuffs and neck.  Since I had to do a lot of hand pleating, I put on Les Miserables and sat down to work.  The last time I worked on the shirt, I attached the sleeves to the body and the neck gores.  This time I was ready to attached one side of the cuffs and the ruffles at the end of the cuff.
 This step requires the base of the sleeve to be pleated to all fit on the cuff.  This is blackwork that I had previously completed (about a year ago, shame on me).  One of the sleeves took me a couple times since i had the black work design going a different direction than the other.  I thought about leaving it, but changed my mind and went a head and fixed it :)

 The next step is to take a yard of fabric and pleat it into a 10" piece.  There are a ton of tiny pleats to fit and I decided not to redo it so ended up with a piece that needs to be cut off and hemmed so it all fits.  I think I ended up leaving about a 3" piece off the end of the pleats.

Since I was so engrossed in the movie, this is as far as I got on both sleeves (Shame on me!).  Next I need to sew down the ruffles and then I can attach the back cuff and hand sew that down.  I will be able to finish that portion of the sleeve tomorrow.  I need to have the man try on the shirt so that I can do the same process to the neck ruffle and collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment