Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Working towards Gulf Wars

Alright so now is starting to be crunch time for Gulf Wars.  Ainsley is now going with us so she needs a week's worth of clothes.  Gulf Wars is harder to plan for since we are never sure if it's going to be warm, cold, wet, all of the above?  Last night I opened my house to those in my Barony for a UFO (unfinished objects) night and I was able to cut out and sew together a viking apron for Ainsley.  I have been using the same pattern for years since my friend HL Christiana showed me how to make the pattern.  I use the pattern from Viking Apron dress by Vigdis (her webpage seems to be down so thankfully I have a printout).  I'll have to see if I can scan the pattern and post it somewhere for later use.

The fabric I used was given to me by a friend who got it from a family member.  it's a remnant piece of fabric from a person who makes curtains, slip covers, etc so it's a thicker  piece of fabric which will come in handy for the cold mornings/days.   One side is almost all orange and white in relief and the other side was mostly white with orange.  I let Ainsley pick which side she wanted to be the right side of the fabric

This is the front of the apron dress.  I still need to hem the top and bottom, otherwise it's completely done.  It came out soooo cute and she'll look fantastic in it.  Right now Orange seems to be the color she wants to wear since she has another apron that was given to us in the same color.



This is the back of the apron where the triple gore is.  This is the hardest part of the pattern to get all together, flat, and even.  For Ainsley's garb I don't worry too much about it being even, just had to make sure there isn't a hole at the top of the gore (have to go back and hand sew just a little on the middle gore to fix a hole).  Even with the busy fabric, it looks pretty good, not too wild.
 
 This is one of the side gores that ended up having a flower in the middle so it give extra detail :)

I'm very pleased with how it came out and can't wait to see it on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment